(580) 249-9100

Terminating Parental Rights

I often get asked whether a party can “sign over” their parental rights. Usually this is because the other party doesn’t want anything to do with the child or doesn’t want to pay child support. The answer is: Not really. Let me explain: There is no private right of termination in Oklahoma. Public policy (whoever gets to determine...
Read More

Hire a Lawyer!

I was on the misdemeanor plea docket Monday morning, and even after witnessing thousands of pleas, it never ceases to amaze me when criminal Defendants represent themselves, even for misdemeanors. Often I see them agree to offers with the Assistant District Attorney which could easily have been negotiated down, or blind pled to a much...
Read More

To Plea or to Blind Plea

It is said that 90% of criminal cases are ultimately resolved by plea agreement. In NW Oklahoma, it seems to be an even higher percentage. Therefore, it is important to understand the different options you have when entering a Guilty or No Contest plea. Negotiated Plea: A negotiated plea is one in which you have reached...
Read More